Friday, November 25, 2011

Life after Facebook.

Apparently I shocked the world the day I deleted not only my facebook, but my ridiculously time-consuming Zynga Farm. Initially the "cold turkey" (excuse the Thanksgiving pun) way of quitting was an adjustment. I never realized how much time I wasted on either/both of those activities until I counted how many times I sat down during the day expecting to log onto....nothing. I quickly assessed that I would have to fill the "wasted" time with this bizarre concept other people call "productivity". I have compiled a small list of things I now do instead of turning my brain into a rotting pile of mush:

* I CLEAN- Yes, I actually took some of my "free time" and cleaned some areas of the house I would hauntingly look at and think "I will just look at facebook/check my farm and THEN clean that clutter". Instead I just get off my lazy ass and clean it.

* I RUN- I signed up to run a 5k at my kids' school. Training for this gave me something to do and discipline to stick with a schedule for keeping myself healthy. Sunday November 13th I ran my first 5k and made my best time yet.

* I DO THINGS WITH MY KIDS- I actually sit down and eat meals with them. I play board games and walk to the park with them. I grab stale bread and get on my bike to feed geese with them. I paint my daughter's nails. I play xbox with them. I watch movies with them. I ENGAGE WITH THEM.

* I AVOID DRAMA- I have stifled at least a half a dozen of them with the simple phrase " I don't have a facebook anymore!"

* I SPEND TIME WITH FRIENDS- I go shopping, or out to lunch, or just hang out without fear of missing a harvest time and having my strawberries wither.

* I SPEND TIME WITH MY HUSBAND- I shit you not, the words "I just have to harvest these ______" has left my mouth at 10pm before I could hang and watch a movie with my spouse. Unacceptable.

* I LIVE MY LIFE FOR MYSELF- instead of pretending to live an interesting one just so my facebook followers won't be bored.

* I CAN GO A WHOLE DAY WITHOUT TURNING ON MY COMPUTER- The mere thought of this pre-facebook deletion would have sent me into seizing panic attacks. Now if my power goes out my reaction is "meh".

* I SPEND TIME ON A GAME I PURCHASED- instead of wasting time on a supposedly "free" game that is designed to get you to spend actual money.

* I ENJOY LIFE- this one is self explanatory.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing that you see all of this now. You were so addicted to it that me stating these things was an attack on you free will. Glad "certain" things took place that forced your hand ..... Or click.

Anonymous said...

I typed a a big ole response and my login wiped it out. Needless to say I am very proud of you and glad that certain "circumstances" took place that forced your "click".