Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Viva F*cking Mexico

This trip has been the thorn in my paw. We've been planning to go back to our honeymoon spot for almost six years now. The plan was to renew our vows and take a nice vacation where we could get away from the kids for a bit.

Well, arranging babysitting has been a bitch. We decided against having one person watch all three kids for several reasons: 1) The only person who would stay here at the house that amount of time is my mother and I don't want to hear about how hard her days were for weeks when I get back 2) The baby won't sleep anywhere but his own bed, so sending all of them to my Father in law's house was not going to happen and 3) I don't even like watching all three of my kids 24/7 for four days, how am I gonna dump them on someone else?

So my father in law and his wife are taking the older two (even though they offered to take all three of them, bless their hearts) and my mom is watching the baby here at my house.

[insert 6468746876874687687 possible problems into this scenario)

FIRSTLY, our original plan was to go from Friday-Monday so Jim would only have to take one day off (b/c of Memorial Day), but he was able to get the Thursday off as well. My father in law's wife had taken the day off on Friday specifically to watch our kids, so asking her to take ONE MORE day was going to be a bit of a stretch. I bring up the possibility to my mom that she may have to watch all three of the kids just for ONE DAY on that Thursday and she starts talking about calling one of her friend's daughter to come and help her that day.

Um....you want to invite someone I've never met to my house WHILE I'M OUT OF THE COUNTRY TO TAKE CARE OF MY CHILDREN???? ARE YOU CRAZY??? So I told her in a very pleasant, nice way that i was "uncomfortable" with that and I would call my Sister in law who should not have a job by that point. My sister in law was happy to help (she's offered to watch the kids for me before, i've just never taken her up on it)

Crisis averted.


Secondly, my mom decided she's flying to Texas to go to my cousin's wedding (that I cannot go to b/c we're spending all our money on mexico) and she has an office to clean every other weekend. Well, b/c she's gonna be out of town, she HAS to clean it the weekend we are gone. So yeah, I had to find someone to watch the baby for two hours on the Saturday so she can go clean the office. **big dramatic sigh**


Now it comes time to actually reserve, book and pay for the vacation.

Piece of cake right? LMFAO

The travel website I was trying to use wanted ridiculous prices for flights, and some of them had us doing over 10 hours of flying for what should be a 3 hour or so flight. Yeah, b/c my idea of a good use of vacation time is spending TWO of my FOUR days flying.

No thank you.

So I call the 888 number and see if the booking agent can do anything better for me and we get everything booked, squared away and i'm ready to purchase. They need full payment today. GREAT! I have more than enough to cover it in my account.

Our card was declined.

Turns out there is a daily limit on our card, and without getting it lifted it doesn't matter HOW MUCH money i have in my account, I'm not authorized to use it. We get my bank on the phone and they are unable to lift the daily limit and tell me I have to go into the branch. What should have been a 30 minute phone call ran over and i was late taking my kid to school.

I figured since I was already having to pack up the kids, I may as well shoot over to the bank and ask about the limit thing. I waited in the bank lobby for 15 minutes (AN ETERNITY to a small child, let alone TWO of them), finally go up to a teller and ask only to be told to sit BACK down and wait for a banker. Oh, you mean the bankers THAT IGNORED ME FOR 15 MINUTES??? Yeah, ok I'll just go back and SIT QUIETLY WITH MY THREE AND ONE YEAR OLD

GRRRR!

Someone FINALLY comes up and asks me if they can help. I tell him my issue and I'm informed that the only person that can help me is a branch manager and the ENTIRE DISTRICT of branch managers are in a meeting until after 3. So, I could not drive anywhere in a 20 mile radius and have a bank manager that could help me until after they got back from their buttplugging meeting.

Basically, in not so many words b/c of my children, i told them to fuck off.

Meanwhile I'm calling my husband who's out in the bay area for an appointment trying to let him know what kind of ridiculous hoops i have to jump through to book this damn vacation and he doesn't answer the phone.

Nice timing.

I finally get ahold of him and he suggests that I pull the money out of our account there and drive across town 25 minutes to our other bank and make a huge payment to our credit card and charge it on that.

At that point it officially became HIS problem.

So I'm crossing my fingers that by the time we actually pay for this damn thing the cost doesn't go up $500.

I need a vacation just from the stress I have from trying to book the vacation.

**sigh**

This is all topped by the fact that our original plan was to go back to the same hotel that we honeymooned at....we waited so long to do that, now the WHOLE place is booked solid.

SO wish me luck, I'm gonna need it :)